When we slow travel for longer periods, our kids do miss some of the familiar things from home. Although they enjoy exploring the new, interesting surroundings, we always try to make it as homely as possible for them. Here are 5 ways to take home with you when you travel.
- Their own pillowcases – No matter where we go, I always pack their own pillowcases. Reuben has a blue pillowcase with dinosaurs, and Anika a girly pink, white and purple patterned one. There’s no space for the actual pillow, but they are more than happy to cover the foreign pillows with their cases – it’s usually one of the first things they ask for when we start to unpack! (And of course don’t forget their special soft toys if they have a favorite!)
- Personalized Photo Fridge Magnets – One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received were these photo printed fridge magnets with photo’s of the whole family. When my sister-in-law gave them to me, I’m sure she didn’t think they’d travel the world with us!
- Deezer Account – We love to play music in our house, so wherever we go, we simply log into our Deezer streaming music account and the children hear familiar songs in the background. It’s amazing how at home our 5 senses can make us feel! We have a family account where each person has their own profile and can use it on any device from our smartphones to the tablets or on a smart TV. Click here to check out Deezer
Give it a try below:
- VPN – We use Nord VPN and love it. When you use a VPN service to connect to the internet, it allows you to choose which country you would like to be connected from. This makes it possible to use your home country’s streaming services, watch your favourite sport, etc. If you want to know more about how VPN works and why you should use it, you can check out our post here.
- Aromas – Talking about senses – if you like using a specific room spray, essential oils or burn scented candles, take some with you. You and the kids will feel more at home if you smell that familiar scent!
We would love to grow this list, so if you want to add to our list of things which can make a trip feel more like home, please comment below!
Follow our Blog
No spam - just updates about our journey